Forum

Fiddle/steering brakes for modified class

Tim Fensom
posted Oct 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Theres been a few requests from the South Island and a couple from the North, regarding making steering brakes useable in Modified class..........

Can we have a bit of constructive feed back from other competitors in modified class??

Cheers

Darin Neeley
posted Nov 02, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think that what you drive must be of a WOF standard and fiddle brakes simply don't fit. I'm not saying everyone must have a WOF and cert just saying the mods must be of a type that can be certed. Look at what I've done and that shows that there really isn't much you can't do as long as you design it well.
To me it is about the overall sport. Are we wanting to race production based vehicles (and therefore no fiddle brakes) or do we not care and just want people to turn up in anything with wheels as long as it complies with the safety rules? If the later then I still think fiddle brakes are out.

Tim Fensom
posted Nov 02, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Theres no reason that you cant have fiddles fitted in a road legal truck, as long as the are disabled at wof time or when its being driven on the road.

This is only going to apply to Modified Class, club and challenge will stay as they are.

Darin Neeley
posted Nov 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Fiddle brakes can't get WOFed as you must disable them so they can't be used. That means there is no spec or standard as to how it should be done. It isn't about the legality it is about having a recognised standard to which the mod should be done.

I don't want fiddle brakes. It you have them you can race but must disable them like if you have them in a road legal truck. I just don't think they fit with what the sport is. (just my personal opinion)

What about electronic traction control. That is just computer controlled fiddle brakes. At present you can't use that even if factory fitted which I think is wrong.

Tim Fensom
posted Nov 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Whats the deal with factory traction control? If a vehicle came fitted with it from new, I dont see how the rules would outlaw it?
I certainly wouldnt class it as independent wheel brakes?

Thats cool about the fiddle brakes,thats your opinion and nodoubt others will have a different one, it will no doubt come down to a vote in the near future, but to vote on any of the upcoming rule changes voters will have to be a current financial member of 4x4 challenges, also all people who have competed in the last 2 years, shall be receiving a email in the next couple of weeks, regarding these changes.

Cheers

Arron Eades
posted Nov 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Depends what modified is supposed to be? There is still no consensus on what we are aiming for.

If modified is "any thing (safe) goes", then yes to fiddles. Of course this means that challenge needs to change to "anything road legal goes"

If Modified is "Challenge trucks that don't fit in Challenge" then no to fiddles.